Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Ouch ..

I suppose it was inevitable in the way that Kristian took out his age group at WA. And it was almost as dramatic too.

But I didn't get a trophy, didn't get to stand on a podium and don't - yet - have a ticket to Kona.

However, my calf is killing me.

It's week four and I've now determined what the heck it is that I'm supposed to be doing in the pool. It's not that I'm that slow, at least I don't think so. Though it's true swimming isn't - yet - my strength.

I did my swim set, and as often is the case, the lane starts to get crowded with others drifting side to side just as I get set to power through a 200m rep. Of course they don't know what lies ahead. They see me stopping after every 25m as if I'm desperate for air.

I catch myself in my mind. Whatever. Focus. Pull. Elbow high. Feel the water. Be one with the water ...

I do my sets and I'm on my cool down and I'm a bit impatient now as this is the longest I've been in a pool in a long time. I appreciate the recovery between each length and after each 200m rep but geez, I get cold too.

So I'm trying to keep my final four 100m reps at a steady pace. I'm on the third and turning after the first 50m when it hits me and stops me dead in the water. Ouch .. nasty cramp in my left calf. It is throbbing - really.

The drifting swimmer: I'm not surprised given how hard you were swimming. She smiles and drifts passed, right down the middle of the lane. Sigh. What can you do.

Well, I drag myself out of the pool, after the calf calms down. And then go hammer myself on the treadmill.

Ah, ironman training.

No comments:

Post a Comment