Saturday, August 8, 2009

New Wheels

I was having an awesome long ride. The plan was to hit the 5-hour mark and I was in good form.

Then .. bam, bam .. hmmmm .. two flats!

Earlier I had cycled to Whistler, about 60km from here. Not a particularly tough spin though there are a few hills and a few breezy sections. But it was a beautiful summer day.

It's always about or at least half an hour faster on the way back as it is 'downhill' to Squamish.

I made good time and was following my program. The last hour of my day was a 30-minute timetrial and then 30-minutes easy.

I cycled the timetrial, covering about 20km in less than 32 minutes and I was very happy with my effort as I kept my cadence firmly in the 70-80 range as 'requested' by Kristian.

It was as I was pressing my bike computer to record my 'impressive' time that I went from bright sun to full shadow and directly into a sinkhole. Ok, not quite a sinkhole but a hole.

There was one immediate flat .. no question about that sound.

I had control of the bike and didn't fall. I was a bit annoyed but more ecstatic about the time. I didn't realize til a few moments later that I had two flats. With one spare tube, that put an end to my spin.

Later when I was changing the tires, I saw a very solid dent in the front rim and also a crack on the back rim. Time for new wheels.

After a bit of a search I found a set at Mavic's at one of my local shops, Corsa. I was able to get them immediately and get back on the bike too.

No comments:

Post a Comment