Friday, December 3, 2010

Run faster

Coach Troy - of the Spinerval series - wrote an interesting review of his run performance at Ironman Arizona where he clocked a sub three hour marathon.

Here is the link to the full comment.

And here are some of his training tips:

1. Build base with frequency: This simple concept is often overused, but holds true. Steady state 'aerobic' paced training should comprise the bulk of your training program. Run often but not necessarily far each workout. Frequency is the key. If you can run 5-6 days per week, do it. The Kenyans run 15 -- 20 workouts per week to accumulate huge training volumes. You can't do that, you'll get injured… but you can run 5-8 shorter workouts per week at an aerobic pace (i.e. not as pounding on the joints).

2. Practice good form: With minimalist shoes all the rage, more runners are focused on forefoot striking and better run posture. I've made a conscious effort over the past year to do this as well, shifting my weight a little forward and not pounding the heel as much as I did in the past.

3. Run on the Treadmill: Since last winter, I've done one or two runs per week on the treadmill. I set it at 7 -- 8 mph at 3% grade and run 40-50 minutes. I feel that frequent treadmill work saves my aging joints and connective tissues from injury. It's forgiving and feels good to get off the pavement.

4. Don't run too long: We all know that you should do a 'long run'. How long is ideal? That's hard to say, but for me, a 2 hr run was my longest on my way to my Ironman marathon PR. I did a couple 1:45 hr runs too, but that was it. I run at roughly a 7-7:20 / mile pace on these runs, with some 'tempo' once in awhile.

5. Do your Bricks: One or two times a week, if not more, do a 'brick' from the bike to the run. My typical training day would include a 30-mile bike (1.5 hrs) followed by a 30-40 minute run (4-6 miles).

6. Do short double runs: During your build up weeks (about 5-10 from race day), do one or two double runs each week. Going back to the idea of frequency, make these short 30-40 minute aerobic paced runs with one in the morning and one again in the evening. This same concept can be used too during your pre-season base building period, but I do not recommend it when you're racing often.

Coach Troy also advises to race often, be patient, rest often, taper early and consider running 'blind' sometimes.

All in all, a solid comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment