Thursday, August 30, 2012

Five things that I got right


Here are the top five that I want to think about when I prepare for my next Ironman.

First, I had realistic expectations heading into the race. 

As much as a Sub 10 finish drives me, I hadn’t put in enough training to earn it. I didn’t, as I have in the past, over think swim, bike and run splits or an end time. I opted for a simplified race strategy. I expected a 1:05 swim, I did 1:06. I expected a 5:30 bike, I rode 5:35. I expected at 3:30-3:45 run, I ran 4:13. Two out of three were bang on target. I know where I made mistakes.
In terms of time, I always have two: realistic and stretch. I give myself a window within which to work. The stretch time is marginally better than the realistic one. For example, in this race, I believed 10:30 was realistic. The stretch was 10:15. I finished in 11:02. I was on target through 15k of the run when I lost the plot.

Second, I bought into high cadence on the bike.

’ve seen the light. It’s how I trained and it’s how I raced. I also resisted the urge to ride faster than necessary, in particular during the first 60k, yet still took advantage of the course.

As soon as I entered the race in early July, I reached out to one friend, Peter McLean, and he wrote me a cycling program; it worked perfectly for me. I’ll detail what I did in a separate post.

Third, I took care of myself well in the weeks ahead of the race. 

I ate better than ever. I set aside my comfort foods. I focused on being as fit as I could be with the short time I had to work with. I got seven hours of sleep a night. I took the occasional nap. I began hot/cold contrasting recovery showers/baths after my longest training sessions. I made Bikram a regular training session: once a week.

I had an ear infection about 10 days prior to Sunday and went to my doctor twice. It stressed me a bit but I got it sorted fast.

I also made sure to get treated with ART and massage as I deemed necessary. The added bonus was having my ART therapist, Leah, at the expo in Penticton for two late treatments.

Fourth, I opted for a very low key approach. 

I didn't enter the race until early July. I kept it off the radar. I didn't want to let my expectations get ahead of my training.

I also was super organized as always. I ordered my race nutrition six weeks out. I ordered new tires four weeks out. I made sure that I had everything on my checklist a week in advance and I had all my gear ready two days before we drove away from home. We dropped Luka at day care (for dogs) the previous afternoon so we could be on the road at daylight. 

Finding a crack in one of my race wheels two days before leaving for Penticton barely pushed my heart rate higher. I found a solution and checked it off my list.

Fifth, I was never been more relaxed ahead of an Ironman.

I had a great book to read which had nothing to do with triathlon. 

Once I registered and zipped through the expo, we got some fresh groceries and settled into our temporary home. And then we relaxed. We mostly fell off the grid. I took my taper very seriously; in all, I took three days off training race week. Not everyone would agree with that but it worked for me.

Sometimes it doesn’t matter how you prepare. I have spent a solid year training for a single 'A' race. Stuff happens when you least expect and you need to be able to adapt and retain an even keel. Sunday wasn't a perfect race and I'll next detail what didn't go right. But I'm convinced that I did the best I could to put myself into a position to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment