Monday, December 3, 2012

In review and ahead

I hadn't planned to train or race as much as I have this calendar year. As the New Year begins to approach I can say that I have had a superb year. I still love to train, in many ways I have had that renewed this year. I love the feeling that comes from being fit.

My year began with the First Half half marathon in February and it came to a close yesterday on the approach to the State Capitol building in Sacramento at the end of the CIM or California International Marathon. I ran 3:14:10. That was my fastest marathon in more than five years and my third Sub 3:15 finish.

In between I ran a half marathon in Washington state, the April Fool's half marathon on the Sunshine Coast, a 10k down Yonge Street in Toronto, a half ironman in Oliver, a half ironman in Vancouver, the Squamish Triathlon and Ironman  Canada.

I am so looking forward to 2013. My race sked is already developing with the First Half, the Victoria half iron in June, the Vancouver half iron in July and Ironman Canada in Whistler. I also will consider the Squamish tri and we may well return to CIM. I want a new marathon PB.

I have so much to be grateful for as the holiday season approaches. First, I have a superbly supportive life partner in Margreet. When it comes to training and racing she inspires, motivates and is my reality check. And she's been challenging me to be a better athlete for 12 years as of this month.

These past 12 months will complete the most productive and also the most frustrating year Margreet has had as an athlete. What put her running on hold in June remains unknown and yet she's swimming and cycling again - after a more than seven year break - in preparation for IMC. She is fearless, a quality that in my opinion is among her greatest strengths.

Second, I am grateful for my health. I don't overthink it but I have been reminded recently of the importance of taking advantage of it. Our days are numbered, our time is limited. Live each day to its fullest. Live in the present as much as one can. Live with less - less stuff, less clutter, less chaos. Focus on right now. Simplify. Simplify. Simplify.

It is difficult to find one's balance. I struggle with it a lot. It is not that I want more per se, it is that I want better.

Third, I am grateful for all that my Dad does, has done, to care for my Mom. It is about never losing hope despite all the crises and the chaos - and there have been far too many. It is about total commitment.

Fourth, I am grateful for having met a very select group of people who I can tap for advice at the drop of a hat. People who understand the importance of integrity.

I am excited about what lies ahead in 2013 ahletically because it is now firmly part of who I am. Yet I say that my athletic life doesn't define me. I have this blog but I don't have a log book. Being fit is among the most important things in my life because of all the doors that it gives me the potential of opening.

I believe there is still a lot of room for improvement and for me it is increasingly about the little things.

My key focus for 2013 will be 'focus'. I was reminded of it yesterday and I was reminded of it during IMC in late August. I am more determined than ever to get the most out of every training session and every racing opportunity. I will be writing and thinking about it a lot in the pending 12 months.

All the best for the holidays. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment