Sunday, February 25, 2007

Yes!!!!

The next day we head to the Kona slot meeting. I have no expectations of getting a slot. At breakfast, a beautiful buffet at the Westin, I say that I am going to retire from Ironman. I expect everyone who finished ahead of me to take the slots available in my age group. That’s why most people go to Malaysia, I think.

Among those registered in my age group, I knew that there were as many as 10 who would be competitive – most of them having been to Kona already or having sub10 finishes at various races.

The 40-44 age group is next. The winner takes his slot. Hmm. He’s younger than me but looks at least five years older. I don’t recall seeing him on the course at all. He finished about half an hour ahead of me.

The name of the second place guy is called but there’s no movement in the room. They move on to the third place guy and he takes his slot. They call out for a second time the second place guy. Again no response.

And then they call my name.

`We are going to Kona’ is what I text to Margreet. I am in shock. So is she, as she responds ``OMG’’ for Oh my God.

My retirement has been postponed.

No comments:

Post a Comment