Saturday, September 5, 2009

Finding a race

Having fallen off my bike at IMC, and the disruption from that, I feel like I didn't have a chance to race. That I have a huge amount of untested fitness.

And so I have been looking around at what I might be able to do.

Ironmans though are hard to get into even during the current economic environment in North America.

For example, Wisconsin is next week (sold out but perhaps too soon anyway). In November, Florida, Arizona and Cozumel are sold out. So is the new one in Utah next May. In fact all of the North American events are sold out for 2010 except for Louisville, late next August.

It's true there are 'community foundation spots' at some NA events but I haven't won the lottery and won't be buying my way onto a start line anytime soon.

I could enter WA or Malaysia or NZ or China or Port Mac or South Africa or almost any/every other overseas event - but there is the added cost of getting to these places. Frankfurt is one overseas event sold out for 2010 - and I've raced there already.

In contrast, just three 70.3 events to be held in the year ahead are sold out at the moment: Muskoka, set for next week; Augusta later this month and Eagleman next June.

There is just one 70.3 event which may make sense: Austin, Texas on October 25.

4 comments:

  1. What about a standalone marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha .. you must have heard us chatting on our evening walk with Luka? There's one in a city in Massachusetts that has caught M's attention.

    ReplyDelete