Saturday, September 5, 2009

Looking ahead

It's Saturday morning and I was up at 4:40am, though not to train. This is the first Saturday morning in a long time in which I don't have a long bike and short run to do. And that's a good thing.

The week after every Ironman is tiring. I'm out of my routine. My sleeping is disrupted. I have indulged on chocolate, had a few nutella sandwiches and quaffed a few beers. (In the month of August, I had just one Mars bar and one beer - on my birthday.)

I have walked a lot these past few days with Luka and walking has helped a lot.

Overall, I am recovering well physically. I'd hoped to have secured an A.R.T. appointment but for some reason demand is high today, the easiest day of the week for a lot of people it would seem.

In three days from now our local pool will shut for three weeks of annual maintenance. I already miss swimming. I have avoided the pool this week to let my road rash heal a bit more. It's not particularly easy on the eye either.

I'm really looking forward to accelerating through the water through fall and winter. This past season has renewed my love for swimming. At IMC I had a swim split pace of 1:43 per 100 metres. That was bang on the times I was hitting on my 100 metre set sessions.

In many ways I'd like to race again - soon. I'm somewhat envious that Margreet was able to find another marathon to enter soon after her Vancouver effort. Unfortunately there simply aren't enough Ironman events.

No comments:

Post a Comment