Friday, March 5, 2010

Back at it

I had news this week of a key development .. a good mate of mine has put in a final push to race Ironman China later this month - next weekend.

Like me he's been training on his own for the most part and like me he lost a bit of motivation to train in the last few months.

But he was inspired again, and the Koach has put him on a strict one month schedule to get to the start line as best prepared as he can.

It's helped me get back at it this week.

I hopped on my mountain bike for an outdoor spin, went for a good run and have hit the pool two mornings in a row.

Now, I'm still a long way from being what I consider to be 'fit' or 'in the zone' in terms of training to race.

But I have to start.

A year ago I was so highly motivated at this time. I was hammering myself in the pool and on the treadmill. And I was spending hours and hours on my indoor trainer.

Life has subtly reminded me that there is more to it than Ironman. And while I can acknowledge that point, it doesn't mean that I have to give up the sport or my preference to train at the highest level that I can find.

And so the 10 x 100m all out efforts in the pool today were a bit harsh but they woke me up in more ways than expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment