Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gordo on marathon training

I have read a lot of Gordo's thoughts on training and racing over the years. He has recently written about marathon training, not as in what specific sessions to do but what to expect and the strategy involved in getting to the start line.

The first take of his two-part comment is on xtri.

The second is on his blog.

He had this comment which I thought was interesting:

"Race Day Strategy -- I have found that on race day the struggles come with regard to humility and self-belief. If I have any cracks in emotional well being then they will come through under stress and I will underperform. It takes very little courage to blow one's self up in the first third of an endurance event (nearly all your peers will be there to keep you company). It takes exceptional self-belief to race YOUR best effort and perform to your best ability."

I think that self-belief comes from knowing that you've done the work ahead of the race, and so your mind is at ease, and in my case, I'm not overthinking everything that I do. I am calm. It is similar to being in the zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment