Saturday, January 31, 2009

Pedals with wolves

It's going to be months .. two or three at the least before I will venture outside for a ride.

Now, there's a range of adjectives to describe my willingness to ride outdoors during winter and early spring after all I am a Canadian and I was born in Toronto and would play shiny outside until dragged off the ice. But that was then.

Having `adjusted' to an Aussie winter, it's been a challenge accepting what's on offer here.

In any event, the fact is that I am going to ride indoors because it's more comfortable and it's safer. I never see any need to be on a bike outside when visibility isn't at its best. And while the Sea to Sky Highway is fast improving, it's still narrow in many places and few drivers keep to the posted speed limits. I am hopeful the road will be in much better condition in a few more months.

Til then, my focus is on spinning indoors and my approach has changed dramatically from when I was training for Ironman New Zealand several years ago and we found ourselves in Victoria, British Columbia during the Christmas and New Year holidays.

In Victoria, Margreet and I both completed several multi-hour indoor rides including each completing epic six hour ones. I'm not eager to repeat that feat.

At the moment, I'm up to a three-hour spin on Saturdays. I suppose longer ones are on the horizon.

Today Dances with wolves distracted me enough to keep spinning when I was ready to stop.

Next week it might have to be The Pedal Identity, The Pedal Supremacy or The Pedal Ultimatum! Bring it on!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine riding a indoor trainer for 6 hours. Thats brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a long time to be on a bike and yet not go anywhere! Though I led from start to finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Define 'spin' for 3 hours...lol..it certainly didn't feel like that on my saturday ride...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Legs moving, bike not .. HAHA .. Now you have a sense of training in a real winter!

    ReplyDelete