Sunday, March 8, 2009

Smashed

Well, I have had to delay the start to my tri season as I hit the wall last week. On Tuesday, I just didn't have the zip in the pool that I expected and by midday on Wednesday I was starting to fade.

The potent mix of training hard, racing full out and then crossing the country took its inevitable toll.

I could barely move on either Thursday and Friday as I fought off a fever and a developing head/chest virus. Everything was a bit hazy on Saturday and I knew there was no sense in racing on Sunday - losing an hour of sleep didn't help.

This isn't the first time that I've smashed myself this hard. I seem to have a knack for doing so about once a year. I know I will recover. My body is simply telling me to take a rest.

On a positive note, I was able to watch most of NZ and saw Charlotte run her way into a very respectable third place. My very good mate, Pete, secured his first sub 10 finish, Juan got a ticket to Kona and Robbie put in another top notch performance. Great motivation for the weeks ahead as I get myself back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment