Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Early April Update

Kristian asked for a state of play, and so here is what I had to say. I'm putting it here mostly so I can find it easier. While I have VISA statements going back a decade - though the shredding process has begun, I just haven't had the same consistency with keeping a log.

**

swim .. last week i felt good .. i am getting into a very good rhythm with the 200 metre repeats .. learning to pace myself a bit better .. if anything i still think that i tend to hold back a bit so i don't go out too fast .. consistent and steady progress .. the toughest is knowing how fast i could go in a race .. i feel confident in the water though and that's positive .. i still struggle with all the rest time between repeats .. even the 30 secs between the 25m ones .. but i do appreciate that it means i can push through each rep and make it a high quality session .. as an example .. i started my 60 x 25 m set today and was putting in 22 secs for one 25m lap .. and i was 23 secs for the 58th and 59th laps .. now i wasn't watching every single lap per se, but i would say that i'm more aware of the consistent level of effort i need to swim at a steady pace

* i have a tendency to get a cramp in one of my calves late in a session especially when i'm swimming hard .. i don't flip turn .. i think what happens is that i push off on an angle and my calf doesn't appreciate it .. but a mix of rolling, deep heat and voltaren (wrapped overnight) is keeping it in check .. i don't think it's diet related .. any thots appreciated though


bike .. haven't got outside yet .. more a reflection of the weather not quite being ideal .. i'm keeping my cadence in check and really putting my faith into the strength that i'm building and have been building these last four to five months .. i feel good on the tri bars .. i've not ever really had an issue with that in the past anyway but i do feel quite comfortable doing the TT work on the trainer .. i'm looking forward, and not, to getting on the road .. it is something that i want to do later this week


run .. i've had a breakthrough in the last week or so .. wrote about it on my blog .. as you said i would need four to five months for the 96 to become more natural .. i can now hit 96 or rather 94-98 on a consistent basis and in a much more relaxed manner .. previously i've been so focused on counting and ensuring that i turn over fast that the rest of my body has been very upright .. not sure if that's the right description but i'm going to assume you know what i mean .. in any event, last friday as i was doing my 90 60 30 and 15 sec repeats .. i was hitting my numbers and felt very fluid in doing so .. i do notice that i need to phase into it though .. for example .. i find myself more fluid in the second and third 60 rather than in the 90 or first 60 .. perhaps i need a longer warm up? or should warm up at a slighty higher tempo? but overall, i'm ecstatic with my running ..

No comments:

Post a Comment