Monday, July 13, 2009

Race nutrition

Deciding exactly what to consume on race day is a long-term process.

For this race, I opted for two cans/bottles of Ensure Plus (355 cals each) and one chocolate Powerbar sport bar.

I had a cup of tea on the drive from home to the start.

Ahead of the swim (15 mins) I had one scoop of Gatorade with 100ml of water. Right down the hatch.

I felt strong through the swim, consistently so. I also felt good on the bike.

On the bike, I had mixed three Powerbar caf gels (50mg caf each) with water in two 500ml (small) bidons. I had some water with a light Gatorade mix in my jetstream. And I had a 750ml water/gatorade mix on the downtube.

I sipped the jetstream initially but then got onto the caf/water mix at about the 20 min mark and kept drip feeding myself at that point.

On the fourth lap I dumped the fluid from the bottle on the downtube .. I didn't need and I didn't want to carry it anymore either.

Onto the run, more diluted caf gels. I had two caf gels with water in two gel flasks. I used those to drip feed myself through the two laps, and took some water cups along the way too.

Post race .. a Vera burger and homestyle fries! Ah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment