Sunday, December 6, 2009

In memory of

I often write about perspective and it’s something that I have thought a lot about in recent years in part because of triathlon but more importantly because of ‘life changing events’ involving my parents.

As I edge closer to the half century mark, I’m increasingly aware of how finite one’s time on earth is, how precious one's health is and the importance of making the most of every single day. I think Marc Becker would agree.

That's why the news of Marc’s death struck home for several reasons.

First because he died far too young. And second, there is no doubt in my mind that he had so much more to contribute to this world.

Since hearing of his death, I have spent a lot of time searching the internet for references to him and have been reading all that I could find that he has written.

Marc was a bright, articulate and forward-looking person.

He also was a high achiever and yet he didn’t need to say so. He was an entrepreneur because it gave him an outlet to reach others.

Marc wasn't perfect and his life wasn't perfect. He had his share of success and failure. And he seemed able to re-balance himself, to keep life in perspective.

For me there is no greater legacy than for the simple words of encouragement one can offer to another when life throws a curve ball. Marc seemed to have a natural instinct for doing so.

The tragedy is that he lost all hope. He lost his perspective.

The private Marc remains private. I never met him. I had very little direct contact with him. He was not my direct coach at ironguides.

I know little of what happened in his last few months, weeks, days that helps put his death into context. And I don't need to know.

***

On the ironguides website, there is a section called The Inner Athlete and Marc wrote a series of articles on the building blocks for success. I have selected a few of the comments that struck me.

***

“Determination is a resoluteness of purpose, a resolve to carry on without fear of failure until your objective has been reached. It’s “don’t weaken in the tough times” and it’s the voice inside you that speaks up and drowns out the words of the naysayers around you. Unbridled determination is an irresistible force, wearing down good opponents who are nevertheless forced to confront their inequity in the face of your power of determination.”

***

“A great attitude sets you up for success because it differentiates the gold from the glitter. A great attitude means the inevitable setbacks in life don't hold you back, but are transformed into the fuel to drive you ever forward. If all else fails and you hit a rough patch, focus on one thing and on thing alone: Try to return quickly to the perspective you want to take on life. Find your great attitude, and you'll find your self, too.”

***

“Taking responsibility means you erase uncertainty and doubt and are able to act and be decisive in the pursuit of your goal.”

***

“Detachment is also the quality that enables you to tune out the noise that threatens to drown out the core values in your pursuit of excellence.”

***

‘’I had several hugely disappointing races in my athletic career. Racing from prize purse to prize purse, when each podium counted to pay the rent, and taking a year off career and work to invest in training and then having major DNF's at my goal races all taught me a thing or two...about triathlon, about the world, but mainly about myself and the cracks in my character that kept me from achieving everything I dreamed I could or thought I could. The work is the work - anyone can be coaxed enough to complete it. But that is only the beginning.’’

2 comments:

  1. this time last year marc helped me out of a serious depression he was not my coach he was my life line mmy wife and kids have marc to thank i am still here god knows i will miss him terrence hines

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - that's great that he was there for you!

    Timothy, thanx for Marc's articles!

    I miss him.

    ReplyDelete