Sunday, July 11, 2010

Squamish Olympic

Solid day. I opted to enter this just last night - 10 minutes before entry closed. Ha.

The main reason I wanted to race is that I found at the Vancouver Half a week ago that I was a bit race rusty. I hadn't thought about it much but the warning I got for starting to take my helmet off before my bike was fully racked was a reminder.

In Australia, we used to race more and also we used to practice transitions. I definitely view transitions as free time and I want all of it.

I knew that today might be a challenge after having gone for a near 6 hour bike ride yesterday - Squamish to the top of Cypress, up 1/3 again, then back home. It was a superb spin on a spectacular summer day.

I was optimistic of winning my age group and while I was near the front after the swim and at about half way through the bike, two went past me on the steady uphill and I couldn't respond. Oh well.

I continued to spin as fast as I could and really hammered the downslope. I felt great.

My legs weren't turning over as fast as I'd hoped the first 2-3km - though after the race I was 'told' that was the uphill section. Sometimes the obvious isn't so.

In any event, I caught one guy just before the end of the first loop of the run. I didn't know he was in front. I felt good at that point and pushed it. And a little bit later, on the short out and back section, I saw the two who were in the lead. I was optimistic that I could catch at least one of them.

As it happened, both of them caught a second wind and I never saw them til the race was over.

It was a good day. My second third in two weeks. Margreet was out in the mix and helped pace her all-women relay team to second in their division.

one loop swim, four loops on the bike and two loops on the run
swim 25.56

bike 1.06.43

run 47.22

2.20.00

No comments:

Post a Comment