Friday, May 13, 2011

Thanks Jan!

What a difference. The previous two seasons, I swam almost entirely on my own.

I had some advice from an overseas triathlon coach (Kristian Manietta) as well as from overseas athletes (Lisa Marangon et al) but there was no one on deck for me. I was OK with that.

I had seen the Titans' masters squad in action but I was so focused on my own sets - and in swimming freestyle - that I kept to myself.

I swam freestyle almost exclusively. I also swam most of the time with a pull buoy and I swam about half of the time with paddles.

For me swimming became about trying to power myself through the water as fast as I could. I knew I wasn't as efficient as I could be but I was getting faster. I watched videos and read books and magazine articles too.

I have developed into a solid 1:05 Ironman swimmer. But I've yet to break the one hour mark at an Ironman, which has been a swim target for a number of years. Perhaps in 2012?

I began last season to add 'swim weeks' to my training schedule; I'd swim for seven days in a row and sometimes twice a day - super easy the second time, similar to how I was taught to break up runs longer than 2 hours and to ease the stress I was putting on my body. The full-on weeks of swimming helped immensely and I highly recommend them, especially during winter. Frequency not volume per se is what has worked for me.

These weeks always give me a much better feel for the water and as my endurance increases, so does my ability to hold a steady, faster pace. The weeks also are a superb boost to my overall level of fitness. But of course, as a triathlete, I always want to be just "a little" bit faster in all three disciplines.

That's what led me to join the masters' squad this season. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made as a triathlete.

I had no idea that I would learn so much in such a short period of time. I had no idea I would be swimming so much faster and more confidently.

The past six months of swimming with the squad has been exceptional. I give full credit to Jan Francke for helping me find my inner fins.

While Jan is departing our shores for a period of time, I'll see him every time I hit the water. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment