Saturday, May 14, 2011

Yellow Lake cleared on 12/27

I tested my new 12-27 cassette today on the CompuTrainer at Challenge By Choice by riding about 30k on the second half of the Ironman Canada course through Yellow Lake.

It's a section of the course that has knocked me three times (once in training and twice in races).

I think the value in the CT is merging the real work I've done on the course with time on the computer generated one. About knowing where/when and how much to push and then determine a race day strategy.

I suspect I'll be seeing a lot more of the course over the next year. I have taken a pass on IMC in 2011 but I'm not done there.

Back to Yellow Lake for a moment though. I knew it was a steady climb. I hadn't realized that most of the climb is at 6 degrees or higher. It's not massive, but it comes at a point in the race where if I haven't been good with my nutrition or if I've gone too hard earlier, then ...

I was curious to see if the cassette swap would make any real difference. I have generally been skeptical of changes, thinking that it's about me becoming more fit and more skilled at climbing, and spinning.

What I noticed was that I was able to generate a bit more power and I was able to hold my cadence above 70. So perhaps I should be more open to other potential component changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment