Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Inspired

I like the idea of trying something new. There are no expectations. It keeps me fresh. And so the idea of running an ultra has appeared. In particular, the Whistler 50 miler (80km).

Keeping life simple is and has been important to me for some time now. That doesn't mean not thinking ahead. For me though, it's about not over thinking whatever it is.

Some ideas capture my imagination. The idea of writing the book that I did, did that. The process of writing it, well, that took some planning and time.

As I prepared for the marathon on Sunday, I thought back to what I read about Steve Jobs. I haven't read that much about him. I never met him. I knew nothing about him other than he was Apple in every sense.

But I read that he often asked himself, what if today was my last day on earth? It was, as I understand, a way for him to simplify and focus on what's important now, as Michael Phelps talks about.

It's an idea that I think is a positive one. It's about not letting all of life's little distractions stop you from moving forward. It's about rolling one's eyes when someone says something that is absurd. It's about taking a breath when someone says the obvious.

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs

No comments:

Post a Comment