Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ready to Run

I've been running a lot the last two months. In fact, I even had one 100km plus week in the mix.

As Margreet has noted in recent posts, the more you run, the more fit you become. I too am feeling fit.

On Sunday I will give it everything that I have at the Victoria marathon. It will be my 10th marathon, standalone one that is.

I am going to wear a Garmin GPS. The first time I have done so. I want to make sure that I don't start too fast as has been an issue for me in the past. And I also want to encourage myself to keep moving fast and faster in the final 10km.

I'm reluctant to set out here my time target, though of course I know the pace that I intend to run based on the training that I've done. I want a PB - so faster than 3.10. I'll leave it at that.

What motivates me a bit more this weekend is what Steve Jobs had to say to students graduating from Stanford in 2005.

"You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life."

I take that as go for it. Go for it now. Live in the present.

Jobs also reportedly was motivated by a quote that said, in effect, live today as if it is your last.

No comments:

Post a Comment