Monday, July 30, 2007

Reflections on Tuesdays

There is no single session that I’ve embraced more than the Tuesday morning ride. It’s always a challenge. I think this morning's session was my last one.

From chasing Michael Croft, Paul Morris, Pete McLean to Declan Hogan, David Thomas and Ian Depree in the ``old’’ days to Damo, Dingo and Lisa in the most recent past to keeping pace with Oli, Juan and the surging Robbie more recently, it’s been a learning experience. [There are many many others who’ve taught me a lesson or two over the years.]

Lisa made a comment to me about six months ago about how determined she gets NOT to be dropped - to find that little bit of extra something - when the group starts to inch away. It’s good advice and so I’m sharing it here. I try to use that to encourage me forward every Tuesday.

Most of the time I think we have more to give than we realise. Without a doubt that understanding is helped by experience. And besides, the idea of the session in my opinion is to hurt, at least a little – it’s meant to be tough!

I'm convinced that I can't get faster on the bike without training at a faster pace. Speed does help.

Of course, there are some mornings when I am energy deprived or sleep deprived or I simply can’t be bothered to hurt myself enough! That’s ok too - as long as it doesn't happen too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment