Sunday, June 28, 2009

Long spin/Long run

A solid two days of training has left me exhausted.

I managed 4 hours and 50 minutes in the saddle on Saturday with lots of big hills. The speedo says 121kms which doesn't sound like much but I worked hard.

I rode up Highway 99 towards Whistler and then turned towards the Nordic Olympic Park. I recall driving up there months ago to watch a World Cup ski jump event and thinking it would be a great place to spin. I knew there were a few hills but I hadn't recalled the top 10 per cent grades - of course these were going to be downhill on the way out.

As good a ride as I had, I was smashed when I got home. I opted to delay my 'run off the bike' for several hours so I could eat and recover a bit. Not ideal but I decided it was better than simply hammering myself for 15 mins than the 40 mins that I needed to do.

Today I backed up with a solid 1.55 on the treadmill and shed about 2kgs of water at the same time.

The 5x 5mins mod and 5x5 mins comfort uncomfort went very solid .. I started 5x 5mins hard at 10 speed, then 10.2 for second interval and 10.4 for third .. All 6 min miles or faster .. I was ripping along and thinking of different pros with whom I was running shoulder to shoulder .. One needs some distraction!

I sort of hit the wall during the fourth hard interval .. jumped off the treadmill for several 10 sec breaks before dialing back the speed to 9 .. ran the fifth interval at 9 .. lots of mind games at the end ..

A great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment