Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Smashed

About three weeks ago I increased the frequency and the overall volume of my training. It's been both a positive and a negative.

The positive is that I have been pleased with my cycling. I have put in two solid timetrials and been up and down Highway 99 towards Whistler - a bit of an uphill going north and then down on the return.

I've also been powering in the pool, at times having a feel of the water that I've never had.

Running though has been a bit hit and miss. I have had some solid sessions but also some real challenging ones.

I wouldn't call it a taper but my training is modified a bit this week ahead of my first race of the season. That's good - I need a few more recovery minutes at the moment.

When I hit the water this morning, I just knew my energy level was a bit low. But I wanted to see how I would go.

My first 200m all out - after the normal warm up - was 7 seconds slower than what I was hoping to see. I did remind myself that not every session needs to be a PB .. but still ...

I put in the rest of the 'in-between' work and then did a second 200m. Man. I actually thought that I was swimming half decent. However, the clock never lies and I had slowed another 20 seconds.

I put in a recovery lap but that was it. Home and food and then a bit of couch time before work.

On a positive note, it wasn't race day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment