Friday, June 26, 2009

Swim breakthrough

I woke up this morning at about 5am but I didn't want to get out of bed that early as the pool doesn't open til 6am and I don't need an hour to get ready so I managed to slide back to sleep for another 40 minutes.

Then I dragged myself up and out of the door and downstairs to flick on the electric kettle for a strong cup of tea in my 'transport' mug and I headed to the pool.

My energy level was a bit low to say the least.

I got into the pool and started the set .. 3 x 50m easy, then 3 x mod, 3 x fast and 3 x all out .. all of my times were 45s-46s .. as much as 5 seconds slower than I have clocked in recent weeks and so I wasn't so optimistic.

I worked through another set of 12 x 50m practicing deep water starts.

Then I set for the 200m all out rep ..

About half way through I found a new rhythm .. it felt as if I was pulling a ton of water .. as if I had my paddles on and my forearms were huge .. I've never had such a feeling of strength in the water ..

One benefit is that I had a guy swimming beside me - in the next lane - who is a solid swimmer .. I see him almost every time I swim and in general he swims a bit faster than me.

Today though I slowly pulled away from him and as I did I had this boost of energy and confidence.

My 200m time was 3.08 (within 4 secs of my fastest ever) - I was smashed when finished but very happily so.

I finished with 3 x 400m .. easy.

**

I immediately changed and hit the treadmill .. again, I didn't start on a high energy level .. but I needed to get this session in this morning .. logistics!

I did my warm up and my moderate and comfortably uncomfortable sets .. I was slowly building my stride rate and really trying to be consistent .. starting at about 88 and building to 94-95 .. and then I opted to push myself on the hard 15 mins set ..

I ran the entire 15 mins at faster than 6 minute mile pace .. I really started to struggle after the first 10 minutes but I refused to let myself off the hook .. I kept thinking of exiting the energy lab .. and running down the hill and towards 'hot corner' and then to the finish line .. my energy level was rising and falling .. my stride rate was a bit more inconsistent .. but i got the job done


**

Ah .. a superb start to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment